Antibiotics are drugs that are used to treat infections caused by bacteria. They work by either killing the bacteria or stopping them from reproducing. They are prescribed by doctors to treat many bacterial infections, including strep throat, urinary tract infections, and pneumonia. Some antibiotics also prevent infections before and after specific medical procedures. It’s important to use antibiotics only when necessary to prevent resistance to them.
While considered beneficial to our recovery, there are instances that antibiotics become ineffective and may cause harm to our bodies instead of healing them. Of course, this depends on different factors like severity, the kind of ailment or virus one has, as well as other medications being taken. That is why it is essential to know how and when to use antibiotics to fully reap their benefits and avoid misusing or overusing them.
- Misusing Antibiotics
The misuse of antibiotics refers to the overuse, underuse, or inappropriate use of antibiotics. This can include prescribing antibiotics for viral infections which they are not effective against or not completing a full course of antibiotics as prescribed. This can lead to the development of antibiotic-resistant bacteria, making it more difficult to treat infections in the future. It’s important for individuals to take antibiotics only as prescribed by a healthcare professional and to never share or use leftover antibiotics.
- Overusing Antibiotics
Overuse of antibiotics can lead to the development of antibiotic-resistant bacteria, which can make it more difficult to treat infections. It can also increase the risk of side effects and lead to the growth of resistant strains of bacteria. It is important to use antibiotics only when they are needed and to take the full course of antibiotics as prescribed by a healthcare provider.
As your trusted community pharmacy in Martinsville, Virginia, allow us to share with you the advantages and disadvantages of using antibiotics. This way, you can learn the benefits, risks, and other relevant information about the proper use of these drugs.
- Pros of Taking Antibiotics
Some of the main benefits of antibiotics include:
- Effectiveness: Antibiotics are highly effective in treating bacterial infections and can often completely eliminate the infection.
- Bactericidal: Antibiotics are bactericidal, which means they kill bacteria rather than just slowing their growth.
- Time-saving: Antibiotics can quickly treat bacterial infections, which can prevent the infection from spreading and becoming more severe.
- Cost-effective: Antibiotics are relatively inexpensive, making them accessible to many people.
- Life-saving: Antibiotics can be used to treat serious and life-threatening bacterial infections such as sepsis, pneumonia, meningitis, and other illnesses that require long term care.
- Cons of Taking Antibiotics
- Resistance development: If you take antibiotics regularly, your body can create resistance to these drugs, which then can lead to severe issues in the future if not properly treated.
- Damage to the immune system: The longer the treatment with an antibiotic, the more damage can be done to the body’s immune system.
- Allergic Reactions: Using antibiotics has these disadvantages as well. Even though the majority of allergy reactions are normally minor, they can occasionally become severe. Among the mild allergic reactions include nausea and fever, but in severe circumstances, dermatitis can also occur.
- Numerous antibiotics might result in diarrhea: This occurs as a result of the microbe species in your intestines changing in composition. The number of harmful bacteria like Clostridium difficile, a painful colon inflammation caused by a disruption in the normal balance of bacteria in the large intestine, may increase as a result.
- Reaction with birth control: Antibiotics may interfere with the operation of birth control or contraceptive pills and reduce their efficacy. In some situations, this leads to birth control tablets failing.
As mentioned, there are benefits and drawbacks of using antibiotics to treat illnesses and diseases. Before taking them, it is crucial that you keep both in mind. Before using antibiotics or any prescription medicines, it is necessary that you speak with your doctor to find out which course of therapy is most effective for you.
It is also equally important that you ask questions to your healthcare provider to clarify misconceptions about antibiotics to get the right information. This way, you can receive the best health outcomes possible.
For the utmost safety and quality, choose prescription drugs from our retail pharmacy. Our high-quality medicines, such as antibiotics, offer you the effective result you expect so you can get back to your happy and healthy life.
Cavalier Pharmacare has been servicing Martinsville, Virginia and its surrounding cities and counties since 2004. We are a local family business that offers retail services and prescription processing. What makes us distinct from your usual pharmacy is our consistent focus on friendly care and customer satisfaction.